This program is component associated with the (Res)MA History Programme. It is really not available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives associated with VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more particular counterpart of this Literature Seminar. It addresses some of the general archival dilemmas talked about there, but details them when you look at the context of the 17th- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. Although the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training they even functioned as a huge repository of valuable and information that is secret a number of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The different staying VOC archives consist of several various types if not “genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall outside of the confines of the collections, but they are closely linked to them, such as for instance personal documents, missionary records, travel reports, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous means essayshark, and current information with various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical standpoint. In addition it actively seeks similarities and differences when considering, in the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations as well as other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot(old that is read Dutch may use such other European documents, for instance those associated with the English East Asia business.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The capacity to separately recognize and choose literary works, utilizing conventional and techniques that are modern
- 2 The capability to individually determine and choose sources, utilizing traditional and contemporary strategies;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources with a view to handling a certain historic issue;
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works with a view to handling a certain historic issue;
- 5 the capacity to individually formulate an obvious and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the concept and way of the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capability to individually arranged and execute a initial scientific study that could make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to provide a definite and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements regarding the control;
- 8 the capability to be involved in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people as well as the capacity to measure the worth of such critique and feedback on one’s very own work and mix it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a conversation associated with the theoretical fundamentals of this control.
Learning goals, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one associated with the specialisations or subspecialisations along with regarding the historiography regarding the specialisation, concentrating especially in the after; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture relates to its documents heritage generally speaking as well as its historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension regarding the theoretical, conceptual and methodological facets of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, by having a particular concentrate on the annotated following: within the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and collection of archives.
Learning goals, related to this Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization of this VOC archives and just how it comes even close to the organization of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions also to records of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly exactly just how these different principles that are organisational pertaining to the goals and audiences of the materials in addition to kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced in a early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capability to create and execute research that is original raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand new guidelines for future research.